Brunnhóll in Mýrar
Sustainable developmentBrunnhóll Icelandic Farm Holidays is a guesthouse and restaurant enjoying unparalleled views of the glacier. We are only 6 km from the Vatnajökull National Park and about 30 km from the nearest town, Höfn on Hornafjörður. Behind the thriving local tourist trade and the unique way of life in the Kingdom of Vatnajökull lie the magnificent, rugged landscape and the culture it helped to create.
Brunnhóll is a family-friendly business which prides itself on personal service. The guesthouse has accommodation for over 40 and most rooms come with their own bathroom. We offer breakfast and dinner. The next generation of the family lives at the neighbouring farm of Árbær, along with cows, horses, dogs and cats, providing visitors with a fascinating insight into traditional farming methods in Iceland and daily life in the country, and an intimate knowledge of local conditions.
Icelandic Farm Holidays at Brunnhóll operates in the spirit of Agenda 21, with the emphasis on high-quality service and respect for the environment. Brunnhóll, and other Icelandic businesses like it, are working to create sustainable development, guided by a desire to protect the interests of the generation now living and generations to come.
The family and staff at Brunnhóll will therefore:
- cultivate the heritage of past generations while marking out their course for the future
- make every effort to keep the immediate environment attractive and unspoilt
- reduce pollution and the waste of resources by recycling, energy saving measures, and the use of environmentally friendly materials, and ensure that its drainage, discharge and supply systems have no adverse effects on the environment
- support the conservation and upkeep of sites of natural beauty and cultural interest
- use Icelandic goods and local services wherever possible when these are available at competitive prices and meet our required quality standards
- give priority in employment to qualified local people or people from areas of high unemployment
- keep ourselves and our staff abreast of developments in environmental issues, and encourage our guests and suppliers to join us in protecting the environment
- strengthen ties with the local authorities, other companies and residents of the region
- meet all the legal and regulatory environmental requirements that affect our operations
- work constantly on improvements to our business and services with the aim of enhancing our environmental profile and meriting annual Green Globe accreditation.
Jón Kristinn Jónsson og Sigurlaug Gissurardóttir